Thursday, May 16, 2013

Seeds are in the ground!

We finally have our seeds in the ground!  I planted corn, bush beans, heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, white scallop squash, greyzini, sugar baby watermelon and cantaloupe.



Here you can see the newspaper peaking out from under the tree mulch.  This is to help keep the weeds away and of course the mulch helps keep the ground moist.
The corn patch in the front of the picture, then beans, peppers and tomatoes
Here is my experimental pumpkin plant.  It even started to grow a pumpkin, but then the gopher completely ate the plant...all of it!  Yes, I was sad.
After I planted all my tomatoes, we had a horrible wind storm come through and killed every single plant.  I went out and bought some more and a friend even gave us some of her extra plants (tomato, yellow squash, eggplant and okra (which the gophers got).  When I planted the second batch of tomatoes, I wrapped the cages with saran wrap to help protect them from the wind.  I am sure I will do this every year from here on out, as it worked wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment