Friday, June 8, 2012

Bread & Butter Pickles

Vlasic Bread & Butter Pickles have always been my favorite.....until today. That is right folks, I found a new favorite Bread & Butter Pickle and it came directly from my own kitchen!

I took 5 cucumbers (yes, I know there are only 3 in this picture lol)

and sliced them up.  (Note: I am forgot to take pictures of the next few steps) Then I sprinkled them with Pickling Salt, covered them with ice and put it into my fridge for 4 hours.  Rinse them in cool water and add a cup of thinly sliced onions. Toss.

Next, I took all my dry ingredients and put them into a pot

and covered them with the liquid.  Brought this mixture up to a boil stirring until the sugar dissolves.

Add the cucumbers and onion, return to just a boil and then turn off the fire.

Fill your sterilized jars with the cucumber & onions, then pour the brine in and give them a water bath for 10 minutes.

Let the pickles sit for 24 hours and then dig in!  You will thank me when your done....I promise.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 - 2 pounds of cucumbers (any kind.  I used Asian Cucumbers)
1 1/2 T salt
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 t. mustard seed
1/2 t. celery seed
1/8 t. turmeric

No comments:

Post a Comment