Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cherries, Cherries and more Cherries!

I took my kids cherry picking earlier this week and we came home with 17 pounds of cherries. What does one do with that much? Well, you eat them in their natural state of yumminess, makes cherry pie and can them to use in future baking or to just open and eat the taste of summer when it is winter.

My husbands cousin let me borrow this cool cherry pitter. I was able to pit all the cherries in less than an hour.

Here are the freshly pitted cherries.  Lookin' good!

I decided to make a fresh cherry pie last night.  I started by taking 5 cups of cherries and tossing them in 1 1/4 cup of sugar and letting them sit for 20 minutes.

Then I added 1/3 cup flour, put them into a pre-made pie crust and put small pats of butter on top.

Put the top pie crust on and popped it into the oven at 425 degrees for 40 minutes.

The crust started to get too dark, so I placed sheet of foil on top and let it continue to cook.

Here is the finished pie.  I can't wait to taste it tonight after dinner.



Then this morning, I washed all my jars and canning tools in warm soapy water and then put them into this tall pot to sterilize everything.  I did't take a picture of the sugar water, but it was just 4 cups of water & 1 1/2 cups of sugar to every 2 pounds of cherries.  Put the cherries into the jars and add the sugar water.

Here they are getting their water bath.

14 pint size jars of yummy goodness.  I just loved hearing the ping of the tops sealing and can't wait to taste a bit of summer this winter.

1 comment: